Table of contents:
Marble meat and foie gras liver: obesity in self-isolation
Much has changed in the quarantine regime: habits, daily routine, nutrition. This often affects our appearance, and not always in the best way. About what happens to the body while sitting at home and how to avoid it - in the author's material MedPortal.
Lake Constance / Photo: pixabay.com
More than a month in self-isolation was not in vain for the figure. Do you know what marbled meat is? One that melts in the mouth, with the finest streaks of fat. To get it, the animal must be deprived of the ability to move. Muscle fibers are absorbed as unnecessary and are replaced layer by layer with fat. It is also deposited in the liver. To make foie gras from the fattest goose liver, the French hang the poor bird in a hammock. In fact, they are being transferred to self-isolation.
The doctors kept buzzing to our ears about the need to lose weight slowly. If you shed more than 400 g per week, muscles begin to dissolve, not fat. It is easier for the body to get rid of them, because they consume a lot of energy, and the fat lies under the skin and in the anatomical bags around the internal organs and does not ask for food, does not touch anyone. The same trouble with muscles, oddly enough, occurs with rapid weight gain in hypodynamic conditions. All right, the fat pad grew on the thighs and abdomen and inside it - in the greater omentum located in the abdominal cavity. But no, the body acts more cunning! It turns the body into a kind of "Napoleon" cake, layering the muscles with fat, and not only all sorts of biceps-quadriceps, but also the myocardium. And this is no longer a joke! The heart weakens, the muscles dissolve, and we don't even notice it,because we sit still and do not perform stress tests, we do not feel shortness of breath.
Body weight, oddly enough, in the first weeks of active fat deposition may not change: after all, it is lighter than muscles. By replacing heavy muscle tissue with lighter fat tissue, in theory, you can even lose weight, but this is not the kind of weight loss you should strive for. Add the inevitable deficiency of ultraviolet radiation, under the influence of which vitamin D is produced in the skin - a powerful regulator of fat metabolism. It is not clear why it was called a vitamin, because in fact it is a multifunctional hormone. Among other things, it manages calcium balance, which stabilizes weight and strengthens bones. Calcium starts to leave them if you are not in the sun and do not exercise your muscles. They create the necessary electrical potential for calcium to be deposited in the skeleton and not leave it.
“Self-isolation on the ground is not much different from self-isolation in orbit: the astronauts also gain weight, the heart weakens, the muscles and bones are absorbed, so they are sent after the flight for long-term rehabilitation,” says the president of the International Society for the Fight against Metabolic Disorders, Professor Tatyana Ivanovna Prokofieva … We do not have the opportunity to keep them company, so we will have to tidy ourselves up on our own!
1. In the apartment, all paths lead to the refrigerator. Keep them as long as possible. Do not self-isolate with a laptop in the kitchen. It is better to work online at the maximum distance from it.
2. We eat when we are bored and anxious. And also when we watch TV shows. And for the company with the family. If frequent snacks are unavoidable, let's turn this obesity risk factor into a weight loss strategy. It is called "fractional meals". Eat 6-8 times a day - often, but little by little: as much as fits in a cup (200-250g). Choose foods that are unsweetened and low in fat, referring to the calorie tables. Boiled turkey breast, tuna and other fish, vegetable salads, fruits, yogurt, kefir, cottage cheese should become the basis of the diet. Your goal is 1800-2000 kcal per day. Then, in a month of self-isolation, you can lose up to 2 kg. If you do not need to lose weight - it is enough just to maintain the existing weight, the daily calorie content of food can be increased to 2500 kcal.
3. Drink at least 1-1.5 liters of water a day. Metabolism, including fat metabolism, occurs only in the aquatic environment. Adipose tissue resembles a swamp that needs to be constantly drained. Water fills the stomach (if you drink it before meals, you can get satisfied with less food), but at the same time it has zero calories. And if you throw an ice cube into a glass, its calorie content will become negative. The body will work as a cooler - it will spend energy to warm the water to body temperature. Foods with negative calories do not have to be cold: anything with a lot of vegetable fiber (for example, cabbage, radish, turnip) is also difficult to digest. Pay attention to them or simply add bran to your food (half a tablespoon per serving).
4. Breathe the scent of slimness, which reduces appetite and boosts metabolism. These are vanilla, rosemary, bergamot, cypress, nutmeg, as well as all citrus and coniferous scents. Let them hover in your apartment. Another secret: first enjoy the flavor of the food, and then eat it. In conditions of a deficit of olfactory information, the Saturation Center in the brain continues to generate a feeling of hunger, although in fact we are already full.
5. Eat with chopsticks! Or with ordinary devices, but at least twice as slow as usual. Then you don't want any supplements. For the hunger center to stop broadcasting its signal, the level of sugar in the blood must rise, and this happens 15–20 minutes after the start of the meal. Just wait for your appetite to calm down.
6. Remember the warm-up at the school physical education lesson. Even the simplest exercises, done regularly, strengthen the muscles and heart and reduce the volume. Expose your face and hands to the sun in front of an open window or on a balcony. 10-15 minutes of such sun exposure per day is enough to eliminate vitamin D deficiency and improve metabolism.