Table of contents:
Survey: 66% of doctors found their experience contrary to the principles of evidence-based medicine
The communication platform "Doctor at Work" at the request of MedNews conducted a survey "Medicine based on evidence". The main purpose of the study was to determine the attitude of Russian doctors to evidence-based medicine, as well as to consider issues that cause discussions in the medical community (traditional medicine, homeopathy, physiotherapy, influenza vaccination).
Photo: pixabay.com /
The communication platform Doctor at Work, at the request of MedNovosti, conducted a survey among Russian doctors called Evidence-Based Medicine. A total of 125 general practitioners and pediatricians living throughout Russia took part in the survey. The main purpose of the study was to determine their attitude to evidence-based medicine, as well as to consider issues that cause discussions in the medical community (traditional medicine, homeopathy, physiotherapy, influenza vaccination).
According to the survey results, the majority of Russian doctors (68.6%) believe that the choice of essential drugs, clinical guidelines, and health policy should be based on Cochrane evidence whenever possible. Another 20.3% are sure that it should always be this way. At the same time, 7.6% of respondents answered that this is simply impossible in our country.
With a few exceptions (14.4%), respondents are sympathetic to the argument of opponents of evidence-based medicine that if an action is not proven, it does not mean that it is not. One third of them admit that, most likely, proper research was simply not carried out. And to the question: “Is it possible from this point of view to consider the old“Soviet”medicines that help Russians, but which have no analogues abroad? Only 7.6% of the respondents answered negatively. 54.2% of the respondents specified that it depends on the drug.
The share of specialists who were faced with the fact that their personal experience contradicted the principles of evidence-based medicine turned out to be quite large - 66.9%. A negative answer was given by 16.9% of doctors.
The majority of respondents (52.9%) are categorically not ready to discuss homeopathy from the point of view of evidence-based medicine. Another 20.2% of respondents could not decide on this issue.
40.3% of doctors unconditionally believe in the effectiveness of flu shots. Another 43.7% believe that this effectiveness depends on the vaccine. On the other hand, more than half of doctors (56.3%) do not know how to treat domestic vaccines with an adjuvant, and whether there is evidence of their effectiveness. The share of those who believe that such evidence exists was 28.6%. And 15.1% believe that they do not exist.
The question of whether refusal to vaccinate is always a sign of obscurantism (here we are talking not about influenza, but about all vaccine-controlled infections) has not received a clear answer. On the one hand, doctors believe that due to anti-vaccination moods in the country, population immunity is falling, on the other hand, they blame not only the illiterate population for this, but also the massive ineffectiveness of vaccines (poor-quality manufacturing, fakes). At the same time, health workers believe that they must patiently explain a specific situation to this population, since most often this is not obscurantism, but "a sign of ignorance and / or the habit of following fashion."
Opinions are divided over how to deal with the increasing claims of the futility of physical therapy. Someone thinks that this is indeed the case. Someone that physiotherapy made sense before, but is now losing it due to the emergence of more effective treatment options. But still, the majority of respondents believe that physiotherapy is underestimated undeservedly. Including because no one is researching the effectiveness of physiotherapy. Drug research is carried out by pharmaceutical companies that have money and an interest in it.
The spread of opinions on the issue of traditional medicine was even greater. Here is one of them: “This is part of our culture, and therefore part of our society. If the question implied how I treat the methods of traditional medicine from the standpoint of a modern doctor, then, of course, it cannot be used fully adequately, since many of its methods require testing."